Founded and opened in 1996 by Dave Benfield, DuClaw Brewing Co. has been all over the board as far as the many different styles it has brewed. Many releases have been the style that a lot of breweries release, but DuClaw has taken the next step and added a little something extra to those that sets them apart from others.
Some examples include:
- Dirty Little Freak — A coconut-caramel chocolate brown ale
- Funk Blueberry Citrus Wheat — An American wheat ale with blueberry and Meyer lemon
- Morgazm — An American blonde ale infused with grapefruit zest
- Sweet Baby Java — An American porter with chocolate, peanut butter and espresso
- Naked Fish — An American stout brewed with gourmet chocolate raspberry coffee
Today’s review is from its Sour Me Series and is called Sour Me Unicorn Farts. A unique beer that is brewed in collaboration with Diablo Doughnuts in Baltimore, a doughnut shop that is known for pushing the limit on flavors, combinations and ingredients.
Tettnang is the only hops used in the beer and grains include Pilsner, Light Wheat and Torrified wheat—whatever that is. It also is supposedly brewed with Fruity Pebbles cereal and the very visible gold glitter.
Poured from a 16-ounce can with a March 2019 born on date, the color is an almost clear golden color with fizzy white head that dissipates rapidly, leaving no trace that it ever existed. The aroma smells like sweet tart candy with some light funkiness. I also get a little Sour Patch Kids in the later whiffs along with a very light bit of biscuits. The taste is bold: sour, yet not over the top.
There are flavors of Hawaiian Punch, crackers, very light malts and artificially flavored sour fruits. The mouth feel, although sour, is so refreshing with punch-flavored candies and just the right amount of malts to add to the balance.