Upslope Brewing Co. has a new variation of one of its popular beers just in time for Christmas.
Lee Hill Series Volume 10: Wild Christmas Ale with Cranberries, a 9 percent ABV sour ale brewed with brettanomyces before being aged in Leopold Bros. Maryland Style Rye Whiskey barrels for 11 months and refermented with 500 pounds of cranberries. The new variant uses the Boulder, Colo.-based brewery’s Christmas Ale (8.3 percent ABV) as its base, a beer that was first released in 2012.
Wild Christmas Ale with Cranberries is the tenth release in the Boulder, Colo. brewery’s Lee Hill Series, which commemorates the original brewery location at Lee Hill in Boulder which is now used to produce small batch releases.
To date, there have been ten releases in the series:
- Vol. 1: Barrel Aged Brown Ale, a 7.6 percent ABV brown ale aged for four months in Leopold Bros. rye whiskey barrels
- Vol. 2: Wild Saison, a 6.8 percent ABV saison aged for seven months in red wine barrels and was brewed with both lactobacillus and brettanomyces
- Vol: 3: Barrel Aged Imperial Stout, a 10 percent ABV imperial stout aged in Leopold Bros. Maryland-style rye whiskey barrels for four months
- Vol. 4: Manhattan Style Rye Ale, a 10.4 percent ABV ale aged in first use Leopold barrels
- Vol: 5: Belgian Style Quadrupel Ale, a 12.8 percent ABV quadrupel brewed with “a select strain” of Belgian yeast and traditional Belgian candi syrup
- Vol 6: Wild Christmas Ale, a 9.2 percent ABV Belgian-style spiced dubbed brewery with brettanomyces and aged in Leopold barrels for 10 months
- Vol 7: Barrel Aged Imperial Milk Stout, a 9.1 percent ABV imperial milk stout aged in Leopold barrels for seven months
- Vol. 8: Dry-Hopped Wild Ale, an 8 percent ABV golden ale aged in the brewery’s house sour culture in neutral oak barrels and dry-hopped
- Vol. 9: Barrel Aged Doppelbock, a 9.1 percent ABV doppelbock aged for five months in three different types of barrels
- Vol: 10: Wild Christmas Ale with Cranberries, a 9 percent ABV sour ale brewed with brettanomyces aged in Leopold Bros. Maryland Style Rye Whiskey barrels for 11 months and refermented with 500 pounds of cranberries
According to the brewery, 19.2 ounce cans ($10) of Lee Hill Series Vol 10: Wild Christmas Ale with Cranberries Thursday are being released during an event at the Lee Hill tap room in Boulder, Colo. on Dec. 8 with a six can per person limit.