Oskar Blues Brewery has long been known for its darker creations, and later this month they will celebrate by releasing five different beers in cans, three of which are brand new variants of its most popular stout.
The Longmont, Colo.-based brewery will be holding the first ever Darkest Day event on Dec. 21, a “celebration of dark, barrel-aged beers that coincides with the Winter Solstice – the longest, darkest day of the year.” The event will feature five limited-release barrel-aged imperial stouts, including three new variants of its Ten FIDY, a 10.5 percent ABV imperial stout.
The five beers being released are:
- Chocolate Hazelnut Praline Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY (12.8 percent ABV) — Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY conditioned on chocolate and hazelnut flavors meant to resemble “a rich Belgian ganache.”
- Salted Caramel Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY (12.8 percent ABV) — Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY conditioned on and salt flavors.
- Hot Buttered Rum Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY (13 percent ABV) — Double Barrel-Aged Ten FIDY aged in both bourbon and rum barrels “over a period of two years.”
- Jefe’s Horchata Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (12.8 percent ABV) — Bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout brewed with “spicy cinnamon and creamy vanilla flavor” that is meant to replicate traditional Mexican agua fresca and is a collaboration with Jefe’s Tacos & Tequila in Longmont, Colorado.
- Santa’s Beer Breath Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (12.8 percent ABV) — Bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout brewed with peppermint and cocoa flavors that was inspired by “Santa’s Breath” ice cream made by Scrumptious Ice Cream and Candy Shop in Longmont, Colorado.
According to a press release, all five beers will be packaged in 19.2-ounce cans that will be released during Darkest Day 2018 events at Oskar Blues’ Blues Brewery’s Boulder and Longmont, Colo. taprooms on Dec. 21 with no purchase limits.