A new collaboration between Great Divide Brewing Co. and Jameson Irish Whiskey was inspired by time spent at the Jameson Midleton distillery in Ireland.
The beer is The Smoothness, an 8.7 percent ABV dark lager that has been aged in Jameson Caskmates barrels, where were sourced directly from the county of Ireland. The new lager is one of seven different Jameson Caskmates Drinking Buddies collaborations that are being released this year pairing craft beer brewery’s creations and Jameson Irish Whiskey barrels:
- Angel City Brewing — ACB Imperial Irish Red Ale (16 percent ABV) — Aged for five months in Jameson Irish Whiskey barrels
- Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. — Trans-Atlantic Imperial Red (7 percent ABV) — Aged in Jameson Irish Whiskey barrels
- Deep Ellum Brewing Co. — The Fascinating Bellman (7.8 percent ABV) — Oak-smoked imperial Irish brown ale brewed with malt smoked with Texas post oak aged in Jameson Irish Whiskey barrels
- Great Divide Brewing Co. — The Smoothness (8.5 percent ABV) — Dark Lager aged in Jameson Irish Whiskey barrels
- Stoup Brewing — Dublin Down Imperial Red Ale (10 percent ABV) — Imperial red le aged in Jameson Irish Whiskey barrels
- Cycle Brewing — Buddy Shots (11 percent ABV) — Ale brewed with six different caramel malts as well as “just a little bit of chocolate” before being aged in Jameson Irish Whiskey barrels
- Fat Heads Brewing — Strange Trip Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout (9.4 percent ABV) — Imperial stout brewed with centennial, perle and Simcoe hops before being aged in Jameson Irish Whiskey barrels
According to a label filed with the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB), The Smoothness will be packaged in 12-ounce bottles. An email sent to the brewery for additional information was not immediately returned.