While we are most likely months away from knowing for sure what Goose Island Beer Co. is releasing as its Bourbon County Brand Stout variants, we now know what at least five more of the possibilities are.
The Chicago-based brewery has filed labels for an additional five variants of Bourbon County Brand Stout 2019, an imperial stout brewed with two-row, Black, Caramel, Chocolate, Munich 10 and Roasted Barley malts and is hopped with Millennium hops before being aged in bourbon barrels.
These possible versions join the previously released labels for Bourbon County Brand Double Barrel Stout 2019, an imperial stout aged in 11-year-old barrels that previously held Elijah Craig bourbon before being aged for a second time in 12-year-old barrels that previously held Elijah Craig bourbon.
The five possible new variants include three keg labels and two labels for 500ml bottles:
- Bourbon County 2-Year Reserve 2019 — Imperial stout aged for two years in 11-year-old bourbon barrels that previously held Knob Creek bourbon — 500ml bottles
- Bourbon County Wheatwine 2019 — Wheatwine ale aged in bourbon barrels that previously held Larceny bourbon — 500ml bottles
- Bourbon County Brand Dry-Hopped Stout 2019 — Imperial dry-hopped stout aged in bourbon barrels — keg
- Bourbon County Reserve Rye 2019 — Imperial stout aged in barrels that previously held Heaven Hill Rittenhouse Rye whisky — keg
- Bourbon County Oyster Stout 2019 — Imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels with oyster shells added — keg
Although release details have not been confirmed, all but one of the eight bottled BCBS variants last year were available nationwide starting on the day after Thanksgiving, which fell on Nov. 23. The exception was Proprietor’s Bourbon County Brand Stout, which has always been exclusively available in Chicago since its debut in 2013.
In addition, Goose Island filed labels for a number of BCBS variants last year that were never released, including Bourbon County Brand Horchata Stout 2018, an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels with ceylon cinnamon, vanilla and lactose; Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout 2018, an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels with “dark roast coffee” sourced from Intelligentsia Coffee and Bourbon County Brand Neapolitan Stout 2018, an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels blended with strawberry puree, chocolate, vanilla and lactose.
A representative of the brewery refused to comment on the release when reached by email.