It turns out there will be at least one more version of Goose Island Beer Co.’s most popular stout released this year.
The Chicago-based brewery will be releasing Double Barrel Bourbon County Brand Stout 2017, a 17.2 percent ABV imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels. In an email, Lisa Derus, spokesperson for The High End, AB InBev’s business unit focused on its craft and import brands, told Tenemu that the variant will be released as part of the brewery’s 2017 Proprietor’s Day event, which is scheduled for Nov. 19.
This is the eighth variant of BCBS that has come to light this year, after Goose Island announced there would be a total of six versions packaged in 500ml bottles:
- Bourbon County Brand Stout 2017 — imperial stout aged in Heaven Hill bourbon barrels
- Bourbon County Brand Stout Reserve 2017 — imperial stout aged in freshly 11-year-old Knob Creek bourbon barrels
- Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout 2017 — imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels with Black Cat Espresso coffee from Intelligentsia Coffee in Chicago
- Proprietor’s Bourbon County Brand Stout 2017 — imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels with bananas, roasted almonds and cassia bark
- Bourbon County Brand Northwoods Stout 2017 — imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels with blueberry juice and almond extract added
- Bourbon County Brand Barleywine Ale 2017 — barleywine ale aged in fresh bourbon barrels
On Oct. 19, Goose Island announced that it will not be releasing Bourbon County Brand Barleywine Ale Reserve 2017, a barleywine ale aged for 20 months in 35-year-old Heaven Hill barrels. According to the brewery, the reason is because “it doesn’t taste like what we wanted it to.”
As in the past, all but one of the different Bourbon County Brand releases will be available nationwide starting on the day after Thanksgiving, which this year falls on Nov. 23. The exception is Proprietor’s Bourbon County Brand Stout, which has always been exclusively available in Chicago since its debut in 2013.
According to Derus, Goose Island Double Barrel Bourbon County Brand Stout 2017 will be packaged in 5.2 gallon kegs and is scheduled to be released on Nov. 19, as well as “a few other occasions, perhaps.”
Update (Oct. 20, 2017) — This post was updated to include details on the release date and distribution information. It was originally published on Oct. 19, 2017.