The newest addition to Founders Brewing Co.’s brewery exclusive series will be a homage to the largest beer festival in the world.
As the name suggests, Mothership Series #9: Oktoberfest is an Oktoberfest-style ale brewed with imported German malts and hops as well as lager yeast. In addition, the new ale from the Grand Rapids, Mich.-based brewery adheres to the Reinheitsgebot, the German purity law originated in 1487 that states the only ingredients to be used in the production of beer are water, barley and hops. The law was replaced by the Provisional German Beer Law in 1993, which allows some ingredients not permitted in the Reinheitsgebot, including wheat malt, sugar, and yeast.
Oktoberfest will be the ninth addition in Founders’ Mothership Series, which consists of releases that have been “brought out of retirement” or “experimental new styles” and will be available for carryout exclusively at the brewery’s taprooms in six-packs of 12-ounce bottles:
- Mothership Series #1: Red Rye IPA (6.6 percent ABV) — February 2018 — IPA brewed with imported Belgian caramel malts and dry-hopped with Amarillo hops
- Mothership Series #2: Sleeper Cell (10.8 percent ABV) — April 2018 — Double IPA brewed with “an intense dose” of five different hop varieties
- Mothership Series #3: MF Donkey Stout (6.4 percent ABV) — September 2018 — Stout brewed with Mackinac Fudge coffee sourced from Ferris Coffee & Nut
- Mothership Series #4: Panther Cub — December 2018 — Porter aged in a combination of BLIS maple syrup bourbon barrels and regular bourbon barrels for “over two years” with whole vanilla beans
- Mothership Series #5: Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout — January 2019 — Imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels
- Mothership Series #6: Cerise — April 2019 — sour ale brewed with Michigan cherries
- Mothership Series #7: Mucho Lupu — June 2019 — IPA brewed with Amarillo, Azacca, Mosaic and Simcoe hops
- Mothership Series #8: Pale Joe — August 2019 — Pale ale with Ethiopian coffee
- Mothership Series #9: Oktoberfest — September 2019 — Oktoberfest-style ale brewed with imported German malts and hops as well as lager yeast
According to a post on Founders’ website, Mothership Series #9: Oktoberfest will be packaged in six-packs of 12-ounce bottles ($10) and is scheduled to be released exclusively at both of the brewery’s taprooms in Detroit and Grand Rapids, Mich. on Sept. 27.