Founders Brewing Co.’s tenth addition to its brewery exclusive series is a breakfast-themed variant of a long-time release.
Mothership Series #10: French Toast Bastard is an 11 percent ABV scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels with and conditioned on maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. As the name indicates, the base beer is the Grand Rapids, Mich.-based brewery’s Backwoods Bastard, an 11 percent ABV scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels that debuted in 2007 and was added to the brewery’s year-round lineup in 2018, although it also still holds a spot in Founders’ Barrel-Aged Series.
“We do a lot of in-house experimentation here and sometimes infusing a firkin of cask-conditioned beer with different flavors is a great way to work through some ideas,” said Jeremy Kosmicki, brewmaster at Founders, in an email sent to Tenemu. “This beer was inspired by a firkin created by one of our long-time brewers, Matt Blodgett, and debuted at our annual Firkin Freezeout. It was so popular, we decided to do a barrel-aged version of it and release it in our Mothership Series.
French Toast Bastard will be the tenth addition in Founders’ Mothership Series, which consists of releases that have been “brought out of retirement” or “experimental new styles” and will be available for carryout exclusively at the brewery’s taprooms in six-packs of 12-ounce bottles:
- Mothership Series #1: Red Rye IPA (6.6 percent ABV) — February 2018 — IPA brewed with imported Belgian caramel malts and dry-hopped with Amarillo hops
- Mothership Series #2: Sleeper Cell (10.8 percent ABV) — April 2018 — Double IPA brewed with “an intense dose” of five different hop varieties
- Mothership Series #3: MF Donkey Stout (6.4 percent ABV) — September 2018 — Stout brewed with Mackinac Fudge coffee sourced from Ferris Coffee & Nut
- Mothership Series #4: Panther Cub — December 2018 — Porter aged in a combination of BLIS maple syrup bourbon barrels and regular bourbon barrels for “over two years” with whole vanilla beans
- Mothership Series #5: Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout — January 2019 — Imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels
- Mothership Series #6: Cerise — April 2019 — sour ale brewed with Michigan cherries
- Mothership Series #7: Mucho Lupu — June 2019 — IPA brewed with Amarillo, Azacca, Mosaic and Simcoe hops
- Mothership Series #8: Pale Joe — August 2019 — Pale ale with Ethiopian coffee
- Mothership Series #9: Oktoberfest — September 2019 — Oktoberfest-style ale brewed with imported German malts and hops as well as lager yeast
- Mothership Series #10: French Toast Bastard — December 2019 — scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels with and conditioned on maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla
According to a post on Founders’ website and an email sent to Tenemu, Mothership Series #10: French Toast Bastard will be packaged in six-packs of 12-ounce bottles ($20) and is scheduled to be released exclusively in bottles at both of the brewery’s taprooms in Detroit and Grand Rapids, Mich. on Dec. 1, although kegs will be “available in limited quantities” across the brewery’s distribution footprint, a first for the series.
Update (Nov. 4, 2019) This post was updated to include production, release and distribution information. It was originally published on Oct. 4, 2019.