A beer that fans of Founders Brewing Co. have been wanting for years is finally being released.
Mothership Series #5: Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout is an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels. As the name suggests, the new beer uses the Grand Rapids, Mich.-based brewery’s Imperial Stout as its base.
The Mothership Series #5: Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout will be the fifth addition in Founders Mothership Series, which consists of releases that have been “brought out of retirement” or “experimental new styles” and will be available for carryout exclusively at the brewery’s taprooms in six-packs of 12-ounce bottles:
- Mothership Series #1: Red Rye IPA (6.6 percent ABV) — February 2018 — IPA brewed with imported Belgian caramel malts and dry-hopped with Amarillo hops
- Mothership Series #2: Sleeper Cell (10.8 percent ABV) — April 2018 — Double IPA brewed with “an intense dose” of five different hop varieties
- Mothership Series #3: MF Donkey Stout (6.4 percent ABV) — September 2018 — Stout brewed with Mackinac Fudge coffee sourced from Ferris Coffee & Nut
- Mothership Series #4: Panther Cub — December 2018 — Porter aged in a combination of BLIS maple syrup bourbon barrels and regular bourbon barrels for “over two years” with whole vanilla beans
- Mothership Series #5: Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout — January 2019 — Imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels
According to a post on Founders’ website, Mothership Series #5: Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout will be packaged in six-packs of 12-ounce bottles and is scheduled to be released exclusively at both of the brewery’s taprooms in Detroit and Grand Rapids, Michigan on Jan. 23.