In seven weeks, FiftyFifty Brewing Co. will be releasing the 10 variants of its popular Eclipse imperial stout.
For the 11th year in a row, the Truckee, Calif.-based brewery will release multiple incarnations of the same base beer aged in multiple barrels and with different adjuncts. This year, there are eight different versions of the popular stout, although unlike in previous years, there are no variants that are available only by purchasing futures, meaning all of the different beers will see distribution.
The 10 different versions of the 2017 Imperial Eclipse Stout will be:
- Eclipse Apple-Brandy Barrel — Sapphire Blue Wax
- Eclipse Evan Williams Barrel — Black Wax
- Eclipse Joseph Magnus Barrel — Aqua Wax
- Eclipse Willet Bourbon Barrel — Metallic Copper Wax
- Eclipse Grand-Cru Barrel Blend — Gold Wax
- Maple Eclipse Barrel Blend — Honey Wax
- Vanilla Eclipse Barrel Blend — Ivory Wax
- Eclipse Rye Cuvee Barrel Blend — Dark Olive Green Wax
- Eclipse Belle Meade Barrel — Coral Wax
- Coffee Eclipse Barrel Blend — Lavender (Sparkle) Wax
In addition, 3l Jeroboams were offered via futures for the Eclipse Joseph Magnus Barrel, Eclipse Grand-Cru Bourbon Barrel and Eclipse Rye Cuvee Barrel Blend variants, each priced at $170. The Jeroboams debuted last year, when Eclipse Woodford Reserve Bourbon Barrel, Eclipse Grand-Cru Bourbon Barrel and Vanilla Eclipse Barrel Blend were offered.
According to a spokesperson at FiftyFifty, bottles of 2017 Eclipse variants will go on sale at an event taking place at the brewery on Nov. 7, and bottles will then be released to the public at retailers across FiftyFifty’s distribution network starting on Nov. 8. In addition, there will be three new areas of distribution this year: Atlanta, Nashville and Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin in Texas.
Update (Oct. 13, 2017) — This post was updated to include details on the release date and distribution information. It was originally published on April 15, 2017.