This month, Community Beer Co. is releasing its latest Barrel-Aged Legion variant aged in a very different type of barrel than it has used before.
In an email, Jamie Fulton, brewmaster at Community, told Tenemu that the beer is Jamaican Rum Barrel-Aged Legion, the newest incarnation of the Dallas, Texas-based brewery’s barrel-aged Russian imperial stout aged in Jamaican rum barrels for approximately six months that comes in at 11.6 percent ABV. The base beer is Community’s Legion, a 10 percent ABV Russian imperial stout that incorporates 12 different malts, including English Maris Otter, dark crystal and highly roasted black malts.
This will mark the sixth time that Barrel-Aged Legion has been released in bottles:
- Barrel-Aged Legion — December 2014 — Aged in Breckenridge, Jack Daniels and Heaven Hill Distillery barrels
- Barrel-Aged Legion — January 2015 — Aged in a variety of bourbon barrels
- Barrel-Aged Legion — February 2015 — Aged in a variety of bourbon barrels
- Barrel-Aged Legion — November 2015 — Aged in Woodford Reserve barrels for five months
- Barrel-Aged Legion — November 2016 — Aged in 5-year-old scotch barrels from The Macallan distillery for over 12 months
- Jamaican Rum Barrel-Aged Legion — October 2017 — Aged in Jamaican rum barrels for approximately six months
According to Fulton, this incarnation of Barrel-Aged Legion will include “slightly more” bottles than last year’s release and will be packaged in four-packs of 12-ounce bottles. In addition, each bottle will be date coded with Rum Barrel on the bottom to differentiate them from previous releases.
A post on Community’s Prekindle page indicates that the beer is being released at an event on Oct. 29 at the brewery, with bottles scheduled to begin shipping to retailers after that.
Update (Oct. 14, 2017) — This post was updated to include details on the release date. It was originally published on May 18, 2017.