For the second year in a row, the Brewers Association (BA) has announced its list of the 50 fastest growing small and independent craft brewing companies, this time for the year 2018.
According to the trade group, these 50 brewing companies represent approximately 10 percent of the total craft beer growth by volume for 2018 and include 35 microbreweries, 13 brewpubs and two regional craft breweries from 27 states across the U.S. In addition, the breweries on the list had a production range of between 50 barrels and 40,000 barrels of beer.
Per a post on the Brewers Association’s website, the top ten fastest growing craft breweries in the U.S. for 2018 are:
- Lake Time Brewery — Clear Lake, Iowa
- Fins Big Oyster Brewery — Rehoboth Beach, Del.
- Oak Road Brewery — Summerville, S.C.
- The Dreamchaser’s Brewery — Waxhaw, N.C.
- Lone Pine Brewing Co. — Portland, Maine
- Shattered Oak Brewing — Oregon City, Ore.
- New Glory Craft Brewery — Sacramento, Calif.
- Bonn Place Brewing — Bethlehem, Pa.
- Borderlands Brewing Co. — Tucson, Ariz.
- Periodic Brewing LLC — Leadville, Colo.
The median growth for craft breweries in 2018 compared to 2017 was 163 percent, while the median production of the breweries on the list grew from 963 barrels to 1,350 barrels during that same time period. The list is made up of small and independent breweries that were opened before Dec. 31, 2016 that reported 2018 production to the Brewers Association’s annual Beer Industry Production Survey. In addition, each brewery’s report had to include a production figure for 2017 that could be validated by the production survey or state excise tax data.
“Even as market competition continues to increase, these small and independent breweries and brewpubs demonstrate there are still growth opportunities across a diverse set of regions and business models,” said Bart Watson, chief economist of the Brewers Association, in a press release.
The Brewers Association is a not-for-profit trade group representing small and independent craft brewers.