This weekend, Bottle Logic Brewing released three brand new beers to commemorate the 20th anniversary of one of the most iconic video games in the past two decades.
The two Stasis Project additions are packaged in 500ml bottles and are named The Dark Wanderer, a 12.2 percent ABV imperial chocolate stout aged in bourbon barrels and Horadric Red Ale, a 12.5 percent ABV red ale aged in bourbon barrels.
In addition, the Anaheim, Calif.-based brewery released Inner Geek Ale, a 5 percent ABV “malt driven” brown ale also packaged in 500ml bottles.
The video game being commemorated is Diabo, an action role-playing video game released by Blizzard Entertainment on December 31, 1996. All three beers were released during BlizzCon, a video game convention held by Blizzard Entertainment to promote its major game franchises, which include the aforementioned Diablo as well as Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, StarCraft and Warcraft. This year’s event was held at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California from Nov. 4 – Nov. 5.
The Dark Wanderer and Horadric Red Ale join 11 other beers in Bottle Logic’s Stasis Project Series, which “celebrates the barrel as a fifth ingredient:”
- Fundamental Observation (13.7 percent ABV) — barrel-aged imperial vanilla stout
- Darkstar November (14.3 percent ABV) — imperial stout aged in bourbon and rye barrels
- Leche Borracho (11 percent ABV) — tequila and bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout brewed with chili peppers, cinnamon, cocoa nibs and lactose sugar
- Some Assembly Required (8.9 percent ABV) — brett saison aged in white wine barrels
- Picture If You Will (11.8 percent ABV) — ale brewed with pumpkins, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger aged in bourbon barrels
- Strangematter (10.5 percent ABV) — saison brewed with orange blossoms, basil, honey and pink peppercorns and aged in wine barrels
- Passionate Dragon (8.8 percent ABV) — saison brewed with passionfruit, dragonfruit and kumquats aged in red and white wine barrels
- Ideation (14.3 percent ABV) — wheat wine aged in bourbon barrels
- Ground State (12.5 percent ABV) — imperial breakfast stout brewed with chocolate powder and cocoa nibs aged in Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels with vanilla and coffee beans sourced from Guatemala and El Salvador
- Stronger Than Fiction (14.2 percent ABV) — American strong ale that has been aged in bourbon barrels and conditioned on both coconut and coffee beans
- Space Trace (11.1 percent ABV) — imperial stout brewed with cocoa nibs and coconut before being aged in bourbon barrels
- The Dark Wanderer (12.2 percent ABV) — imperial chocolate stout aged in bourbon barrels
- Horadric Red Ale (12.5 percent ABV) — red ale aged in bourbon barrels
Although bottles of all three were sold during BlizzCon, according to Bottle Logic, both The Dark Wanderer and Horadric Red Ale will be sold as a set ($50, which includes a $10 donation to ACT Anaheim, a grant initiative which addresses gaps in service for underserved Anaheim youth) and will go on sale to member’s of the brewery’s T3 Passport Holders starting on Nov. 17, while there will also be a lottery via EventBrite for additional sets held from 12:00am on Nov. 6 until 11:59pm on Nov. 8, with winners picking up bottles starting on Nov. 12.