A new release from Bottle Logic Brewing incorporates the same ingredients that are used in baklava.
The beer in question is Byzantine Vision, a 10.7 percent ABV Baltic porter conditioned on hazelnuts, pistachios, and walnuts before being finished with wild honey and aged in bourbon barrels. The base beer is Bottle Logic’s Cobaltic Porter (8 percent ABV) which was first released as a draft-only option in 2014 and won both a gold medal at GABF in 2015 and a silver medal at the 2016 World Beer Cup competition.
The Byzantine Vision joins 14 other beers in Bottle Logic’s Stasis Project Series, which “celebrates the barrel as a fifth ingredient:”
- Fundamental Observation (13.7 percent ABV) — barrel-aged imperial vanilla stout
- Leche Borracho (11 percent ABV) — tequila and bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout brewed with chili peppers, cinnamon, cocoa nibs and lactose sugar
- Some Assembly Required (8.9 percent ABV) — brett saison aged in white wine barrels
- Picture If You Will (11.8 percent ABV) — ale brewed with pumpkins, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger aged in bourbon barrels
- Strangematter (10.5 percent ABV) — saison brewed with orange blossoms, basil, honey and pink peppercorns and aged in wine barrels
- Passionate Dragon (8.8 percent ABV) — saison brewed with passionfruit, dragonfruit and kumquats aged in red and white wine barrels
- Ideation (14.3 percent ABV) — wheat wine aged in bourbon barrels
- Ground State (12.5 percent ABV) — imperial breakfast stout brewed with chocolate powder and cocoa nibs aged in Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels with vanilla and coffee beans sourced from Guatemala and El Salvador
- Stronger Than Fiction (14.2 percent ABV) — American strong ale that has been aged in bourbon barrels and conditioned on both coconut and coffee beans
- Space Trace (11.1 percent ABV) — imperial stout brewed with cocoa nibs and coconut before being aged in bourbon barrels
- The Dark Wanderer (12.2 percent ABV) — imperial chocolate stout aged in bourbon barrels
- Horadric Red Ale (12.5 percent ABV) — red ale aged in bourbon barrels
- Darkstar November (13.8 percent ABV) — Russian imperial stout brewed with rye and molasses before being aged in bourbon barrels
- Redeye November (13.8 percent ABV) — Russian imperial stout brewed with coffee, rye and molasses before being aged in bourbon barrels
- Byzantine Vision (10.7 percent ABV) — Baltic porter conditioned on hazelnuts, pistachios, and walnuts before being finished with wild honey and aged in bourbon barrels
According to Bottle Logic, Byzantine Vision will be packaged in 500ml bottles ($20.95) that will go on sale via Event Brite on Jan. 22, with a three bottle per person limit. Purchasers can pick up their bottles starting on Jan. 28 and no proxies will be allowed.