Almanac Beer Co. is releasing a new beer today to honor the 10th anniversary of the first store that carried its products.
Named Tropical Platypus, the 6 percent ABV “sour blonde ale” aged in neutral red wine barrels and conditioned on kiwi, lime, mango and passionfruit for three months before being dry-hopped with galaxy hops.
To celebrate its 10th anniversary, San Francisco-based City Beer Store is releasing five different beers from five different breweries each day this week:
- Monday — Almanac Beer Co. — Tropical Platypus (6 percent ABV) — sour ale aged in red wine barrels and conditioned on kiwi, lime, mango and passionfruit and dry-hopped with galaxy hops
- Tuesday — Cellarmaker Brewing Co. — 300 Steps — double IPA
- Wednesday — Drakes Brewing Co. — Duck Puppy (11.8 percent ABV) — Belgian-style barrel-aged quad
- Thursday — Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. — City Beer 10 Year Anniversary Ale — barrel-aged New Orleans milk stout
- Friday — Sante Adairius Rustic Ales — Southern Sunrise — saison brewed with peaches
According to James Wickboldt, marketing coordinator at Almanac, 100 barrels of Tropical Platypus were brewed, and it will be packaged in 375ml bottles that will be on sale today during an event at City Beer.
In addition, bottles and kegs will be shipped to retailers in the brewery’s distribution network in the following weeks.