3 Floyds Brewing Co.’s Dark Lord Day may not be taking place this year as it normally has, but fans will still be able to purchase the famous beer for themselves.
The Munster, Ind.-based brewery has announced it will be releasing Dark Lord Day packages that include the famous 15 percent ABV Russian imperial stout brewed with coffee, Indian sugar and Mexican vanilla as well as multiple variants starting on Nov. 5.
However, unlike the annual massive day-long event that has historically been the venue for people to pick up the beer, fans will be limited to picking up the beers from the brewery this year.
While Dark Lord Day 2020 was originally scheduled to take place on May 16 at the brewery located in Munster, Ind., 3 Floyds postponed the normal event and ticket sales in March due to concerns over the coronavirus.
The abbreviated version of the event will include fans buying packages online and then picking them up at the brewery. Each package will cost $170 and includes:
- Four custom-printed bottles of 2020 Dark Lord Russian-Style Imperial Stout
- One bottle of a “random” and “rare” 2020 Dark Lord variant
- Tote bag
Packages will go on sale starting at 3pm CDT on Oct. 19 via this website, with each person limited to two packages. In addition, customers that purchase two packages will receive two different variants, “while supplies last.”
Last year, attendees who paid the $180 for entrance to the event—which was held at the brewery in Munster, Ind.—received four 22-ounce bottles of 2019 Dark Lord as well as a “rare 2019 Dark Lord variant” included in each pre-packaged bag that were handed to each person at random.
The 13 different Dark Lord variants released in 2019 were:
- (RyeBADL) — Dark Lord aged in rye barrels
- (xBBA xDVR)— Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels and Divine Rite malt whiskey barrels
- (xRBA xDVR)— Dark Lord aged in rye barrels and Divine Rite malt whiskey barrels
- BBADL — Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels
- Brosure — Dark Lord aged in ruby red port barrels
- Cavaleiro of Varnov—Dark Lord aged in Calvados barrels
- Chemtrailmix —Dark Lord aged in rye barrels with cinnamon and pink peppercorns
- French Vanilla Militia— Dark Lord aged in Sauternes barrels with vanilla, cocoa nibs and coffee
- Loadstar — Dark Lord aged in Sauternes whiskey barrels with toasted coconut
- Lounge Against The Macromachine — Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels before being finished in tequila barrels with Mekong cinnamon, cocoa nibs, guajillo peppers and tangerine peel
- Marshmallow Handjee —Bourbon barrel-aged Dark Lord with vanilla beans
- Reptilefund — Dark Lord aged in bourbon barrels and mezcal barrels
- ‘Rrari Crochet — Dark Lord aged in port whiskey barrels with vanilla, freeze-dried strawberries, cocoa nibs and toasted coconut
Dark Lord was first brewed in 2002, but was not packaged in bottles until 2004, with the first Dark Lord Day taking place in 2005.