After more than a year of waiting, Dark Lord Day 2018 is here.
The annual event by 3 Floyds Brewing Co. is the only place where people can get bottles of Dark Lord, a 15 percent ABV Russian imperial stout brewed with coffee, Indian sugar and Mexican vanilla. While attendees to this year’s festival on May 19 will get four bottles of 2018 Dark Lord, there will also be multiple versions of “rare 2018 Dark Lord variant(s)” included in each pre-packaged bag that will be handed to each person at random:
- Marshmallow Handjee —Bourbon barrel-aged Dark Lord with vanilla beans
- Chemtrailmix — Dark Lord aged in rye barrels with cinnamon and pink peppercorns
- French Vanilla Militia — Dark Lord aged in Sauternes barrels with vanilla, cocoa nibs and coffee
- Spaceforce! — Dark Lord aged in Pineau Des Charentes barrels with vanilla, cocoa nibs and coffee
- Lounge Against The Macromachine — Tequila barrel-aged Dark Lord with Mekong cinnamon, cocoa nibs, guajillo peppers and tangerine peel
- Greatest Teachable Moments — American brandy barrel-aged Dark Lord with verbena, ginger and orange peel
- Hung Draw n Quartered — Rye barrel-aged Dark Lord
- Cavalerio of Varnov — Oloroso sherry aged Dark Lord
- Brozerker — Ruby port-aged Dark Lord
- Brotilla — Carcavelos-aged Dark Lord
- Turtledove — Scotch barrel-aged Dark Lord
According to 3 Floyds, tickets to this year’s Dark Lord Day was limited to two per person priced at $180 each and includes:
- Festival admission
- Live music concert
- Four 22-ounce bottles of 2018 Dark Lord
- One bottle of “a rare 2018 Dark Lord variant” chosen at random
- Branded tote bag
There will also be more than 50 different breweries pouring beers on draft for attendees, including The Answer Brewpub, Founders Brewing Co., Cigar City Brewing, Firestone Walker Brewing Co. and Perennial Artisan Ales.
The stout was first brewed in 2002, but was not packaged in bottles until 2004, with the first Dark Lord Day taking place in 2005. in addition, this year will mark the 13th time Dark Lord Day has taken place, although the majority of those years the event was held in April.
Last year’s festival was held on May 13 and was the second year that the brewery charged a flat fee instead of a la carte pricing. Attendees paid $180 for entrance to the event—which is held at the brewery—a branded tote bag, four bottles of Dark Lord 2017 and either one bottle of a rare Dark Lord variant or two vintage bottles of Dark Lord Imperial Stout.