Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen1 has been in existence in the municipality of Beersel, Belgium since the 1880s. I covered the rest of the history of the world renowned brewery in my review of the Hommage in October:

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen was founded in the 1880s as a cafe and geuzestekerij, a place where young and old lambics acquired from other breweries are blended together to produce geuze. In 1953, the establishment was purchased from the mayor of Beersel, Jean-Baptiste Denaeyer, by Gaston Debelder who expanded the enterprise by adding a restaurant on site before retiring and leaving everything to his two sons, Guido and Armand, in 1982.

With help from his father, Armand took over the blending operation, while Guido focused on running the kitchen in the cafe. In 1999, despite a massive downturn in the market and multiple brewery closures in Belgium, Armand opened his own lambic brewery located in a building behind the cafe. This allowed him to begin the process of brewing his own beers, instead of just blending beers acquired from other breweries.

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen Golden Blend Bottle

The Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen Golden Blend is, as its name implies, a 6 percent ABV geuze that uses a blend of different aged lambics: 25 percent is four-year-old lambic, with a “secret” combination of one, two and three-year-old lambics making up the other 75 percent.2 While the 375ml bottles were first released at the brewery in March of 2012 with bottling dates of Feb. 2011.

After the cork almost takes my eye out popping out of the bottle, the Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen Golden Blend pours a hazy golden-straw color3 with a significant amount of yellow tinged foam that takes a quite a while to die down.4 When it finally does, it leaves a lacing that completely covers the top of the beer in the glass and stays there for the duration of the drinking experience. Aroma from the glass is a strong combination of strong oak, sour apples, lemon zest, hay, horse blanket funk and blue cheese.

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen Golden Blend

The flavors in the beer follow the nose almost exactly with a creamy oak combined with juicy citrus, funky oak, tart cherries, wheat and earth. Carbonation is high, and fairly light in body, but effervescent on the palate. The profile is more tart than sour, and the finish is noticeably dry without taking away from the profile. There is an interesting saltiness on my lips, and it really adds to the complexity of the beer every time I take a sip. As it warms, I start taste a floral sweetness on the finish, but otherwise the profile stays fairly consistent from the first drink to the last.

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen Golden Blend
BREWERY: Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen
LOCATION: Beersel, Belgium
STYLE: Gueuze
ABV: 6 percent
IBU: n/a
PRICE: $32
RELEASE DATE: March 2012
AVAILABLE IN: 375ml bottles
BEERS POURED: One
I have to say, I enjoyed this gueze more than the Drie Fonteinen Hommage I reviewed back in October, and I did not expect that to be the case. The four-year old lambic added quite a bit of creamy oak character to the final blend, and really bumped up the complexity of the profile overall. While the carbonation was a bit more aggressive than I expected, it was still well within normal limits, and the balance was superb. I do wish this beer was bottled in 750-ml bottles for better aging, but that is a minor quibble when the beer itself is so good.
90Editor's Choice
Reader Rating 0 Votes
0