The first 2017 SPON variant to come to light will incorporate a fruit Jester King Brewery has not used many times before.
According to labels filed with the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC), the beer is 2017 SPON — Blueberry & Pitaya, a 5.7 percent ABV blend of two-year-old 100 percent spontaneously fermented ale that has been refermented with both blueberries and pitayas, which is also known as dragonfruit. Dragonfruit is not a fruit that Jester King has used in its beers many times in the past, although it was incorporated into a collaboration with Green Bench Brewing Co. named Sleeping Dragon that was released earlier this year.
In November 2016, Jester King debuted its first 100 percent spontaneously fermented beer named 2016 SPON — Méthode Gueuze, a blend of one-, two- and three-year-old 100 percent spontaneously fermented beer that was made using the same traditional method that produces authentic Belgian gueuze.
2017 SPON — Blueberry & Pitaya is the eighth variant to be released, announced or had labels filed so far in Jester King’s SPON Series:
- 2016 SPON — Raspberry & Cherry — Released December 2016
- 2016 SPON — Peach & Apricot — Released December 2016
- 2016 SPON — Flor — Released December 2016
- 2016 SPON — Mourvedre & Sangiovese — Unreleased
- 2016 SPON — Albarino & Blanc du Bois — Unreleased
- 2016 SPON — Armagnac — Unreleased
- 2016 SPON — Still — Unreleased
- 2017 SPON — Blueberry & Pitaya — Unreleased
According to the labels, 2017 SPON — Blueberry & Pitaya was blended on Feb. 2 and will be packaged in 375ml bottles. An email sent to the brewery for additional information was not immediately returned.